Tuesday, July 2, 2013

On Budapest

I love Budapest.  Out of all the European cities I've seen thus far I'm hesitant to name a favorite, but Budapest is definitely up there.  Anthony and I made it to the heart of the city after a 10-hour train ride from Ljubljana (and some help from a wonderful Hungarian barista who locked up his shop to direct us to the Budapest metro station.  Don't even get me started on how much I love Hungarians) and met up with my fellow LE volunteers at our hostel.  Over the next three days, we had our orientation which consisted of teacher training, group bonding, sight-seeing, dancing, and lots of food.  Anthony got to hang out with us for the first two days before he flew back the the States.

Two of the most memorable parts of the trip were visits to the Széchenyi Thermal Baths and the House of Terror.  (Very contrasting destinations, and in that immediate order).  The Baths were so relaxing; 6 of us went together and spent the afternoon testing out the various pools.  The House of Terror is a must-see for anyone visiting Budapest; I can now better understand why the residents of the city so passionately hate the one remaining Soviet memorial in Liberty Square.  The horror that Hungary experinced at the hands of two regimes, the Nazis and the Soviets, is unbelievable.  From what I gathered, Hungary's cooperation with the Third Reich caused the Soviet regime to fall even more harshly on the country. Deeply disturbing, but something that must be acknowledged and remembered.  As much as I consider myself a Russophile, there can be no excusing or justifying the human rights abuses of the Soviet regime.  (Which makes for an interestingly masochistic picture when asking myself why I'm so drawn to Russia in the first place.  I'm not sure if I have a ready answer).

It was wonderful to meet my fellow LE volunteers, and I'm excited to spend more time with them in a few weeks for our midpoint break.  Budapest was a perfect location both for the last city Anthony and I would tour together this summer and as the introduction to my teaching program.
LE volunteers in Budapest
Széchenyi Thermal Baths
Marx in Buda
Chain Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment