Thursday, July 18, 2013

My Last Day in Mădăraș or, How Teaching in Romania Boosts Self-Esteem


Today was my last day of teaching in Mădăraș, which is quite bittersweet for me.  I love these kids.  In keeping with the Eastern European campaign to fatten up any and all guests, I was given a large amount of pralines and chocolate bars.  And kisses.  (I love the custom of kissing to show affection.  Be warned, my American friends: I'm bringing this tradition back with me).

Later this afternoon, four of my students (cousins to my host siblings) came over with a cake they had baked just for me.  My students also gave me drawings, beads, and flowers.  I now have more roses than I have ever received at any one point in my life.

Tomorrow I will have to wake up at 4:00 to make the train for Oradea, which is about 9 hours from here.  After a few days with the LE volunteers, I'll come back to Harghita county for my second placement.  I will end this in order to nap and finish packing before dinner.  I've already decided that I want to come back.  I adore this village and its people.

Group hug with some of my little munchkins

One of the sweet pictures from my students.  It warms my heart that an 11-year-old boy would take the time to draw this for his teacher and then unabashedly kiss her on both cheeks.

My teenagers.  I love them!  Everyone kissed me before they left.

Gifts from my students
Class 2 with their "diplomas"
My desk at the end of the day

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about the different attitude everyone has out there; No small talk, straight forward honesty, and very open to welcoming people in. It's interesting to here you talk about how different things are, here and there!

    ReplyDelete