Sunday, July 28, 2013

Snapshots of Székelyudvarhely

There are many things that I miss about Mădăraș.  I miss afternoon naps.  I miss my host mother’s quiet way of insisting that I eat another helping.  I miss walking everywhere.  I miss drinking lemongrass tea.  I miss watching American movies with Hungarian subtitles with my host sisters.  I miss the slow pace of life.
Székelyudvarhely
I’ve been in the city of Székelyudvarhely for over a week and am only now finding the time and energy to blog.  Teaching is intense.  Thankfully, my fellow LE volunteer, JJ, is my teaching partner so we share the responsibility of 50+ students. 
With some of our younger students
With Buttercup.  I love her!
My host family has been immeasurably generous and kind since I’ve been here.  My host mother, A, and my host father, L, both speak English quite well.  My nine-year-old host sister, Buttercup, has excellent English and the cutest hysterical laugh in the world.  A’s parents live here as well, Tata and Mama.  They don’t speak English but we can still play Rummikub without a hitch.
Three horses share the road with motor vehicles
Me, JJ, E, and J out in Udvarhely
There have been other matters on my heart and mind that I don’t care to share on this blog, which is another reason I haven’t known what to write.  (Don’t worry about me, though, my situation is okay!  It’s more of what I’ve been mulling over lately).  However, I do think that my host family’s hospitality will help me settle in here.  Also, it's been wonderful to have a friend to teach with (JJ), and we've made friends with E, who works at our school.  As much as I love kids, it's nice to interact with other twenty-somethings.

I do miss Mădăraș but I think I will carve out my niche here as well.

Until next time,
Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment